Facebook/BSN: Tech Career Experiences Through a Legal Lens, 3 March 2021 | event snippets (2)
Following this successful event, we are sharing snippets of the advice given by our fantastic panellists:
What is a tech lawyer?
- Fluid, dynamic and always changing
- Not narrowly defined
- Can be regulatory, can be implementary
Do you need a tech background?
- No! Specialist backgrounds can be very useful but are not essential
- Nicolette’s background prior to joining Facebook was in media and advertising and she advised that those doing a similar transition immerse themselves into the new environment and be open to learning from more experienced colleagues
- Geofrey provided valuable advice for those wanting to explore and express an interest in tech – click here to read more
How does tech impact the way we practice law?
- Tech helps firms to provide a more competitive product
- Opaque processes can become much more transparent which clients often like
Advice for lawyers who are considering starting out in tech
- Barry advised that you take the jump, explore your interests and think broadly as most big companies have a wide tech input
- Nicolette advised that you shouldn’t be intimidated – Nicolette qualified through CILEx and worried that this would be a limitation alongside not having a tech background but it hasn’t been
Thank you Barry, Geofrey and Nicolette for your valuable insights and advice!