Speaker’s Counsel – House of Commons – Vacancy
The House of Commons, elected by the UK public to represent their interests and concerns, is the most important institution for discussing national policies, making laws and holding the Government to account. MPs debate the big political issues of the day and proposals for new laws.
As Legal Counsel to the Speaker and top officials of this organisation, you and your team will play an influential role as the subject matter experts advising on a wide range of topics in public and in private law.
The responsibilities of this role will include (but are not limited to)
- Scrutiny of domestic secondary and some draft primary legislation
- Reviewing and amendment of draft European legislation and documents,
- Advising on employment, freedom of information, data protection, and contract law,
Some knowledge of Parliamentary privilege, electoral law, standards in public life, copyright, charity law, criminal law and procedure, procurement and commercial matters would be advantageous
- Ideally with experience in public sector legal work, including aspects of the legislative processes for primary, secondary and European legislation,
- A profound understanding of constitutional and administrative law
- Ability to provide sound advice in areas such as contract, employment and copyright law
- Leadership and management of a professional team would be advantageous
- Applications from individuals from private practice and from those currently in-house within the third sector are encouraged.
This is an excellent opportunity to work in a world class environment and influence UK Public policy and practice. Financially, this offers an attractive package and also offers final salary pension.
To learn more, please contact Cynthia Davis at Cynthia@bamerecruitment.com who will be delighted to discuss this opportunity in confidence with you.
BAME Recruitment is a Diversity and Inclusion Specialist Consultancy Firm dedicated to providing highly skilled diverse candidates. Our team represent lawyers at all levels of seniority and provide permanent and interim legal recruitment solutions for a wide range of law firms, companies and financial institutions.